About

Is this record worth a spin? Should I buy it? Will it add to or detract
from my credibility? Should I care?
I wish someone could break it down for me.

Friday, March 15, 2013

Waxahatchee- Cerulean Salt


Another sparse, emotionally revealing effort from Alabama cum NYC cum Philly native Katie Crutchfield. Katie's guitar playing is simple, alternating between acoustic ballads and distorted three-chord punk arrangements, often recalling Guided By Voices. Her vocals alternatively recall Jeff Mangum, Alanis Morissette, and Mirah. Katie took umbrage with her own statement in a NY Times article in which she said that she doesn't identify herself as "punk", that labels in general stifle self-expression, but you can confidently apply the terms DIY and Riot grrrl to Waxahatchee's Cerulean Salt.


Buy this record if salt in the wound is a salve for the soul.

katiecrutchfield.tumblr.com



No comments:

Post a Comment