About

Is this record worth a spin? Should I buy it? Will it add to or detract
from my credibility? Should I care?
I wish someone could break it down for me.

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Drink A Toast To Innocence: A Tribute To Lite Rock


This compilation is the result of a successful Kickstarter campaign started by Andrew "The dream is still alive in Portland" Curry. The music genre represented here is often referred to as "soft" rock or "yacht" rock, I've always called it dentist office waiting room music because these are the types of songs I would here while waiting to have my braces cleaned & tightened once a month. I looked forward to hearing this music about as much as I looked forward to having my gums pinched by tiny rubber bands. The craftsmanship and sheer hooks put into a lot of this music has grown on me as I've matured (aged!), and I can say that I was intrigued when I heard about this project.
Drink a Toast To Innocence states that the listener will "hear the classic Lite Rock hits of the late '70s and early '80s, reinterpreted by today's best power pop and indie pop artists". The record covers two discs and over 25 artists doing everything from "Dance With Me" to "Sentimental Lady", to "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)". This particular project would be better served if incongruent artists did faithful renditions of some soft rock songs, ex. Queens of the Stone Age covering Chicago's "Wish You Were Here" or Nick Cave doing Ambrosia's "Biggest Part of Me". The production is good and the performances are strong, but there's nothing here to convince you that hearing the original versions wouldn't be more rewarding.





Buy this record if the Captain lost Tennille on a desert island while Loggins hunted for wood to help Messina build a fire.

www.monstersofliterock.com

No comments:

Post a Comment