About

Is this record worth a spin? Should I buy it? Will it add to or detract
from my credibility? Should I care?
I wish someone could break it down for me.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Aaron Freeman- Marvelous Clouds


I have a lot of respect for Ween, their punk ethos i.e. determination not to sell out, their sincere take on assorted musical genres, their musicianship, and their song-writing skill. But this is not a Ween record. This is a solo record by Ween's singer/songwriter Gene Ween (dropping the pseudonym for his real name here). And it's not really a solo record because all the material consists of Rod McKuen covers. It's adult oriented fare, kind of like a Bread record without the yeast. Not that this isn't a pleasant record, it is, I just can't figure out why it was made (McKuen is not a Lee Hazlewood or Harry Nilsson waiting to be unearthed) or what audience it was made for ( I don't see this appealing to the typical Ween fan). I remember Gener once saying, "I want to sound like Christopher Cross in ten years, and be totally proud of it". I wish he had made a record of Christopher Cross covers instead.


Buy this record if you're hanging out in the waiting room of a dentist's office.

www.partisanrecords.com/artists/aaron-freeman/catalog/marvelous-clouds

No comments:

Post a Comment