About

Is this record worth a spin? Should I buy it? Will it add to or detract
from my credibility? Should I care?
I wish someone could break it down for me.

Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Weeknd- Echoes of Silence


He's only 21 but this is already his 3rd record of 2011. The first, House Of Balloons, drew a lot of ink for it's tales of drugging and fucking sung with a radio-friendly R&B voice over foreboding, yet compelling, rhythmic structures. The next record, Thursday, was much more ethereal but didn't feel as accessible. Now the final installment in this 2011 trilogy reaches our ears in the form of Echoes of Silence, combining the best aspects of both House of Balloons and Thursday, while showcasing the musical maturity of Toronto, Ontario's Abel Tesfaye. Dare I say that he can sound like the 2nd coming of Michael Jackson when he chooses to rip out some grittier verses? Give the opening track "D.D." a spin and tell me you don't hear it. "Outside" builds on the themes of young lust that prevailed on the first record, our protagonist daring his latest conquest to go back to her man after a night of his indomitable loving. Overall, the beats are more varied and diverse on Silence, propelling verses while remaining down-tempo in nature.


Buy this record if you're growin' up and you're horny.

www.the-weeknd.com

No comments:

Post a Comment