About

Is this record worth a spin? Should I buy it? Will it add to or detract
from my credibility? Should I care?
I wish someone could break it down for me.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

West Indies Funk 3


Pretty funny and entertaining take on Caribbean music centered around the steel drum. This is the third in a three volume set put out by the Trans Air label. Most of the collection consists of loose and/or faithful renditions of soul and R&B standards. Standouts include: Sam & Dave's "Hold On I'm Coming" by Sapodilla Punch, Bill Wither's "Ain't No Sunshine" by Original Tropicana Steel Band, as well as their "Funky Abbey Road", which is actually a confusingly named version of The Spencer Davis Group's song "I'm A Man". The crown jewel of this collection is Life's cover of "2001: A Space Oddysey". It really comes out of left field but knocks it out of the ballpark! DJs and mixtape makers will revel in this collection.



Buy this record and kick it with some jerk chicken and a Dragon Stout.

www.allmusic.com/album/r2137158

No comments:

Post a Comment