About

Is this record worth a spin? Should I buy it? Will it add to or detract
from my credibility? Should I care?
I wish someone could break it down for me.

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Gulag Tunes- Melodies & Rhythms


Amalgamation of instrumental surf music, klezmer, and traditional Odessa/Russian prison work songs by Russian morgue worker Mikhail Antipov, who records under the moniker Vivisectors. The album has a decidedly surf rock feel and, despite the allusions to Gulag life, which will undoubtedly bring back horrible memories for Russian people, a beach party air to it. The cover alone is worth the price of the record, a ridiculous photo of Stalin's discombobulated head, a lei of skulls draped around his neck, hovering over a Gulag camp at dusk. The FSB is probably monitoring Antipov's activities, but I'm confident he can play his way out of any jam he gets into.


Buy this record if you're catching a gnarly set on the North Shore with Anne Applebaum.

thevivisectors.narod.ru/

No comments:

Post a Comment