About

Is this record worth a spin? Should I buy it? Will it add to or detract
from my credibility? Should I care?
I wish someone could break it down for me.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Miles Davis Quintet- The Unissued Japanese Concerts


This record is the culmination of a brief three night run in Japan during 1964. This was the 2nd incarnation of the Miles Davis Quintet featuring Sam Rivers on tenor sax, Herbie Hancock on the keys, Ron Carter on bass, and Tony Williams manning the skins. Loads of classics on this one: "Walkin", "So What". "Stella By Starlight", "All Of You", "If I Were A Bell". Recording isn't perfect, Davis' trumpet sounds tinny on some songs and the entire ensemble sounds a little distanced, meaning the quintet isn't upfront in the mix, but it's a minor complaint given the overall quality of playing and the track list.


Buy this record if you wanna brush with greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment