About

Is this record worth a spin? Should I buy it? Will it add to or detract
from my credibility? Should I care?
I wish someone could break it down for me.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Andre Williams- That's All I Need


Talk-singing from venerable Alabama-born R&B singer Williams. He has a storied 60 year history in the music biz as a performer, and songwriter for the likes of Ike Turner, Stevie Wonder, and Parliament/Funkadelic. He recorded 12 singles for Fortune Records in the 50's and scored a top ten R&B hit with "Bacon Fat". This 2010 Bloodshot Records release finds Andre licking his chops with members of  Detroit bands the Dirtbombs, Electric Six, and the Witches accompanying him. After endearing himself to the punk and sleaze scene in recent years with profane lyrics and his black man's version of David Johansen on crack look, Williams decides to play it pretty straight on this record. That's All I Need gains momentum as the record wears on, where the strongest tracks "There Ain't No Such A Thing As Good Dope", "Too Light To Fight",  and "Amend" provide a steady anchor.


Buy this record if you gotta hitch in your porch swing and a greasy mess on the stove.

www.bloodshotrecords.com/artist/andre-williams

No comments:

Post a Comment