About

Is this record worth a spin? Should I buy it? Will it add to or detract
from my credibility? Should I care?
I wish someone could break it down for me.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Jennifer Castle- Castlemusic


Sparse folk record from Canadian songstress Castle, who once provided back-up vocals for the likes of The Constantines and Fucked Up. Most songs feature her singing to the accompaniment of one instrument, be it guitar, piano, or organ. Her voice exudes a breathy thinness, and wavers, but it manages to hold your attention. When she sings of sage, lavender and cedar leaves on "Remembering" I can't help but think renaissance faire, and the triteness of the lyrics.
The best songs remind me of someone else; "Summer" could be Brightblack Morning Light and "Way of the Crow" has a distinctive Neil Young feel, while "You Don't Have To Be" could pass for Emmylou Harris. That's actually not a bad list of influences when I read it out loud. Overall, it's a mixed bag, but at least the touring gives her a chance to get out of Canada from time to time.


Buy this record when the cabin creaks and the lazy susan is empty.

www.flemisheye.com//jennifer-castle

No comments:

Post a Comment