About

Is this record worth a spin? Should I buy it? Will it add to or detract
from my credibility? Should I care?
I wish someone could break it down for me.

Monday, June 6, 2011

tUnE-yArDs- whokill


 tUnE-yArD's Merrill Garbus has been accused of going the Paul Simon/Vampire Weekend route, that of a privileged white person utilizing African sounds for their own economic benefit. At least that is one of the main arguments I've heard regarding her music. I thought that was how rock'n'roll was invented? I like how she layers her vocals and the intensity with which she delivers them. She moved from suburban Connecticut to a grittier Oakland setting and this has provided her lyrics a more social immediacy. Some of it can become a little repetitive but overall it bears the hallmarks of a real up-and-coming talent.


Note: Video below is not from the album whokill, but gives the listener insight into her song-building process.

Buy this record if you wanna show your granny what a stick of bubblegum costs today.

www.tune-yards.com

No comments:

Post a Comment