About

Is this record worth a spin? Should I buy it? Will it add to or detract
from my credibility? Should I care?
I wish someone could break it down for me.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Utopia- POV


I don't know what compelled me to seek out this record again after so many years or why I'm reviewing it now. Maybe it's because I'm from Philly. Maybe it's that I've always been a Tubes fan and this record was made contiguously with The Tubes record Love Bomb, which Todd Rundgren produced, in 1985. The production value and the song styles are very similar on both records. While Love Bomb did indeed bomb, it had a couple noteworthy moments on its 2nd side. POV suffers a similar fate of overproduction, tinny drumming, and a completely sterile feel. "Play This Game","Mated", and "Wildlife" are decent but the rest is dustbin fodder. This is mainly for hardcore Rundgren fans and idiots like me who are seeking out records from their youth.

Buy this record if you can't remember why you were supposed to evolve.

www.tr-i.com

No comments:

Post a Comment